20 May 2026

Why I Started Making Natural Hair Butter for My Baby’s Hair 🌿🧴✨

 

Whisking mango butter with olive oil and other ingredients

As a mum of a child with eczema and severe nut allergies, I’ve realised how important it is to know exactly what is inside the products we use daily.

When your child carries an EpiPen, you read every ingredient differently.

Something as simple as hair oil or skin cream can become stressful because so many products contain hidden nut oils, fragrances, preservatives, or ingredients that trigger reactions.

I recently ordered what I thought would be a safe natural oil blend containing pumpkin seed oil, vitamin E oil, and black castor oil… but hidden within the ingredients was almond oil.

Unfortunately, that meant I couldn’t use it on my daughter.

That moment really pushed me to start creating our own products naturally at home so I know exactly what is going onto her hair and skin.


The Beginning of Our Natural Hair Journey 🌱

This is just the beginning for us, but I’ve already started experimenting with simple nourishing ingredients that work beautifully together.

For my first homemade hair butter, I used:

  • Mango butter as the base
  • Olive oil
  • Fenugreek-infused oil
  • Clove-infused oil

I wanted something moisturising, simple, and gentle enough for sensitive skin while still supporting healthy hair growth and scalp care.


Why I Chose Mango Butter πŸ₯­

Many natural butters contain nut derivatives, but mango butter is often considered a gentler alternative for those avoiding common nut-based ingredients.

Mango butter is rich in:

  • Fatty acids
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin E
  • Moisture-locking properties

It helps soften dry hair while supporting moisture retention for the scalp and strands.

For children with eczema-prone skin, moisture support is incredibly important because dryness can increase irritation and discomfort.


Fenugreek for Hair Growth 🌿

Fenugreek has been traditionally used in many cultures to support hair growth and scalp health naturally.

Fenugreek seeds contain:

  • Protein
  • Iron
  • Antioxidants
  • Plant compounds linked to scalp nourishment

Many people use fenugreek-infused oils to help support:

  • Hair strength
  • Reduced shedding
  • Scalp hydration
  • Healthy hair growth routines

Read more about fenugreek and hair care


Clove Oil Benefits ✨

Cloves contain antioxidants and warming compounds traditionally used in natural hair care.

When infused carefully into oil, cloves are often used to support:

  • Scalp circulation
  • Hair strengthening
  • Healthy scalp conditions

Because children’s skin is sensitive, I keep everything very diluted and simple.


Why Ingredient Awareness Matters So Much 🚨

If you’re a parent of a child with allergies, you understand how exhausting ingredient checking can become.

Perfumes, almond oil, peanut derivatives, and hidden stabilisers are found in so many “natural” products.

Even products marketed for children or sensitive skin can still contain allergens.

That’s why making products ourselves has become empowering for me.

I know what goes into the mixture. I control the ingredients. And I can adjust things according to my daughter’s needs.





Natural Living Has Become Healing for Me Too πŸ’š

This journey started with hair care, but honestly it’s becoming much bigger than that.

I’m learning more about:

  • Natural skincare
  • Soap making
  • Bath products
  • Gentle ingredients
  • Holistic wellness

A lovely friend from my Women Who Move empowerment group actually shared an amazing website with me where I can purchase natural bases for:

  • Soaps
  • Bath bombs
  • Shower gels
  • Body butters
  • Natural skincare products

I’m genuinely excited to learn more about the process and eventually create products that nourish both hair and skin naturally.


The Connection Between Stress, Skin & Wellness 🌿

Research shows that stress and skin health are often deeply connected.

Conditions like eczema can sometimes worsen during periods of stress, irritation, environmental triggers, or inflammation.

Creating calmer routines, using gentler ingredients, and reducing unnecessary chemicals may help support healthier skin environments.

National Eczema Association


Products & Tools I’m Using 🌱


Recommended Reading πŸ“š


Final Thoughts ✨

Sometimes healing starts with small intentional choices.

Choosing simpler ingredients. Choosing awareness. Choosing nourishment. Choosing to learn.

This natural hair journey is about more than growth — it’s about safety, care, healing, and reconnecting with what we place on our bodies daily.

And honestly… I’m excited to see where this journey takes us πŸŒΏπŸ’š


Disclaimer: Always patch test natural ingredients and consult a healthcare professional regarding allergies, eczema, or severe allergic reactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey I’d love to hear anything you would like to add let’s discuss here!

My Honest Experience with Ecodenta Toothpaste 🦷🌿

  I've always believed that small daily habits can have a big impact on our health, and recently I decided to switch my toothpa...